Most classes have a minimum number of students necessary to make the class
break even financially........

That has always been the case here - last year I had to convince them that
the students were going to sign up on the first day of term and if they
didn't,
they needn't pay me.  I believe what they mean is that they won't cancel
classes before the term starts, but it's not what it says.

There is no statement anywhere in the half page article as to when they might
be forced to cancel the class (although as you and I know, if it's cancelled
it will be if there aren't enough "learners").  The compensation is highly
unlikely to be compensation in the sense that most people would understand it,
just a refund of their own money paid in advance.

It's the conjunction of the two sentences that we found amusing.  Did they
actually read what they had written?