I can't think of the word at the moment, but *my mother told me*
this was something a lady would wear over her hat and tied at the neck to keep from losing the hat (probably when motoring?). If Mother is in good form when I see her today, I will ask her what they are called but IMHO is it highly likely that she knew.

Wonder if it is "lapets"?  My mind is going too.