On Aug 7, 2005, at 1:19, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote (in response to suz):

i don't like oysters at all and still can't figure out how
to eat them.

I only wish I could afford to eat oysters at least once in every r-month :) Oysters, shrimp, mussels, clams, snails... All of those were hidden from my palate when I grew up in commie Poland, where *lemons* were a luxury... But, once I hit US, I discovered them and loved them since, in all forms... Quite as much as I love cabbage :)

My MIL had a priceless family recipe for pickled oysters, which she used to fix every Christmas - loved those. Love smoked oysters from a can. But, the best time I ever had with oysters was Christmastime '76... I was big as a barn with child (Danek arrived Feb 7, '77), when we (DH and I) went to the "President's Christmas Party" at the U - around Dec 5-7 it must have been. The party was boring as all U parties always are, but the grub was nice - lots of shrimp; the then-prex being from Norfolk and fond of seafood - and his wife (a Brit) fun to talk to. Even so, when DH signalled he was ready to leave, I didn't mind. Put my coat on (it coverred my shoulders, if not the "mound" in front <g>), we said our thank-yous and good byes, and we stepped onto the porch...

Where we saw 3 blue in the face and shivering U employees, lined up next to a couple of barrels, and behind a table on which there was nothing but bowls of lemon slices and some plates with shells... "What's that?" I asked. "Looks like oyster barrels" said DH; "would you like one?" Enquiring minds always want to know, so he asked one of the employees to crack open an oyster and cut its "foot", showed me how to squeeze some lemon on it and slurp...

15 minutes later, all three employees were getting pink with the effort of supplying my slurps fast enough <g> The oysters bought in the jars are never that fresh, though they're still good for pickling and for oyster soup (I have a lovely recipe for that, and we indulge at Thanksgiving).

Anyway, back to Ricky

I did eat escargot once -- once was enough. They are kind of rubbery,

That's probably the fault of cooking. I've never cooked snails and have only ever had them when eating out but I've had a lot of shrimp - both when eating out and home cooked - and there's a trick to cooking those so they are *not* rubbery, just firm and crunchy and full of texture. Of course, the garlic butter improves the taste of just about anything except fruit :)

On Aug 7, 2005, at 4:02, romdom (dominique) wrote:

i'd say all snails are edible but the biggest ones are easier
to eat and escargots from Bourgogne are suppposed to be a delicacy (they're huge and disappearing quick . i think you're not allowed to capture them any
longer ) ...

Probably why parts of Poland are making a mint shipping them off to France :) The edible snails (well... not edible to *Poles* <g>) are called "winniczki", suggesting that they like to live around vineyards. They're really big, with a clean-looking, almost white shell. So, a snail makes a very nice morsel indeed

and  the garlicky sauce is the only tasty thing about escargot

The sauce is made using the broth from boiling/steaming the snails. Well prepared, it tastes quite different than plain garlic butter. Just as garlicky clam sauce for spaghetti gets some of the flavour from the "juice".

All this talk is making my mouth water :) LexVegas is a small town, with few decent eat-out places but, recently, we've had a French restaurant relocate from someplace in the county and all their seafood is *superb*, including the snails. I'll need to go back there soon, I think, for a solitary "lunch fix"

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/
Lexington, Virginia, USA     (Formerly of Warsaw, Poland)

To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to