"BrambleLane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Ricki in Utah writes: I've thought about raising silkworms in my mulberry
>trees, too, until I heard someone explain it's cruelty to animals.
>
>Ricki, I am in my second season of raising silkworms.  I am a handspinner.
>And I intend to use the silk from them.  I would be interested in knowing
>why it is considered cruelty to animals.

I think that must be the point when cocoons for reeling are put in boiling
water, killing the caterpillars before they chew their way out.

Personally I'm not that sentimental about caterpillars.  I've certainly
killed my share of the white cabbage butterfly caterpillars!

Lynn Carpenter in SW Michigan, USA
alwen at i2k dot com