In a message dated 8/7/2005 2:12:13 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Commercial silk farmers do kill the larvae so that the cocoons can be reeled
(unwound).  I don't much care for the thought of that, either.  (OTOH, I'm
not about to stop buying silk.)  However, in my own experience, not all the
cocoons hatch, anyway.  So, I let things go as they will, and those that do
not hatch can be reeled, and those that do can be washed and carded.  No
loss! ;-)
Margaret, I'm wondering if you could tell me/us a bit more about handspinning
silk? Do you use a drop spindle? Is silk hard to card and spin? What do you
do with your thread once it's spun (make lace? :<)) And if you don't mind, a
bit more about growing silkworms too!

Thanks!

Ricki
Utah