Devon,

Linda has a great idea, and here is one step further -- they now have
rolling carts with a case at the bottom end designed specifically for sewing
machines.  If Linda's idea appeals then you might want to take a look at
these.  JoAnn's carries them, among others.  If you sign up for their
mailing list, you would get a coupon each mailing for about 40 per cent off.

As for sewing machines, it's interesting that Tamara's experience was the
flip side of mine.  My mother and I each had awful experiences with the
**^%$ things.  So I am prejudiced against Singers.  I would suggest two
possibilities: take a look at Consumer Reports in you library, and check if
they have evaluated sewing machines.  And secondly, and possibly more
critical: seek out a shop that specializes in sewing machines, even if you
have to travel a little.  Don't buy from a store that can't give you decent
explanations.  What in the world will you do if you or your daughter have
questions?  And service?  Who will do that?  Will it be someone who really
knows sewing machines?

Good luck,
Regards,
Carolyn