Modge podge is a white glue-consistency liquid (I've often wondered if it
really **is** white glue) that is brushed over something to be coated, paper
especially, and the coats can be built up successively to give something
like a decoupage effect.  It gives some protection to the article in
question.  I've used it on items for Godly Play, where I was laminating
paper to wood, with good effect.  In my opinion it doesn't offer the
protection of something like several coats of polyurethane.  I haven't had
any problems with pieces cracking off, with either substance.

Carolyn

Carolyn W. Hastings
Stow, MA USA