Dear friends,

With Jean's consent I am forwarding this to Lace-chat, it is useful to know
these things can be arranged easily, and until it happened to me, one never
knows quite, when one would want to use it.

Hi Jean,

Sorry to hear of your sad loss, but hope this helps,

To take or send someone's ashes o/seas, is much simpler than you would
think, they can even be in your suitcase in a polythene bag with the
appropriate certificate.
I had personal experience of this just 13 years ago, I had to get the ashes
of a very dear friend who was a Reverend Cannon, to South Africa. I hadn't a
clue where to begin, a-n-d he had been deported several years earlier, he
was white and born in Reading Berks (where we lived), but had great
sympathies with apartheid and Steve Beke and Bishop TuTu etc;
I went to the Post Office, and asked and I cannot remember exactly what they
said apart from stating on the declaration it must say 'human remains', and
I said well that would raise eye brows I'm sure.

I phoned the South African Embassy and I believe it was they who told me
what certificates were required from the undertakers and the crematorium
which was the most important certificate/document, (to clear human remains
declaration).
I had him here in a wooden mahogany box, which I never opened, (so how the
ashes were placed inside I'm unsure), until I found out all the details, and
boxed him up and sent it by air to Arch Bishop Desmond Tutu, it was that
simple.

Again I had no one to ask either where to start, from arranging the High
Mass in Reading, for clergy from all over England and o/seas, or getting his
ashes sent back, and clearing his home, but I just asked anyone and
everyone, and it all came together.

So I would ask your Poole Post Office if there are any changes to exporting
human remains, (unless you know someone who is travelling to Australia, who
could take him in their suitcase).
Then phone the Australian Embassy and ask what documents they want for
importing him in.

Hope that helps, if I can help more please E-mail,

Kindest regards,

Pauline

in Somerset. U.K.

Hi Jean,

I was just thinking, perhaps I should send a copy of the E-mail I sent to
you, to Arachne Lace Chat, for anyone else who might be curious about this
in the future, but I won't if you prefer that I didn't Jean.

The other thing I neglected to add, was that you would need to get someone
to scatter the ashes for you over there, if no relative, the best thing
would be to contact someone in the clergy, either through your own church,
or via internet churches, or your diocese Bishop/Dean, can help.

Kind regards,
www.wincanton-uk.com