In a message dated 9/23/2005 8:16:56 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
However, what I am wondering at, is the pledge to rebuild, 'just as it was'.
It seems a little silly to me to rebuild areas, and re-inhabit areas, which
are going to be in the path of even more and even stronger hurricanes (as a
result of global warming), are below sea-level, and protected just by levees
which didn't hold this time!   I wonder also whether people will want to
return to live somewhere where they have experienced such devastation - I
think I would be one who would get to the highest ground, and furthest from
the Gulf states, just in case ...   But no doubt they will get the biggest
brains in the country to sort all the logistics out - but I am sure it will
take many months indeed, if not years, to do so.

This is really an important issue. The senators from Louisiana yesterday
proposed a massive bill (about $260 billion) to help the State recover. Among
other things, they are concerned about addressing the continued threat it would
pose if they rebuild just as before. It has been known for years that the levee
system is inadequate, and the rapid erosion of the wetlands extending into the
gulf, due primarily to offshore oil and gas development and barge traffic, is
exposing the inhabited areas ever more to these increasingly high intensity
storms and storm serges. It would be a big mstake to rebuild as before, and I
don't think anyone harbors any illusions about that. The only problem is that
to address the situation even partially will be enormously expensive, and
require changes on many fronts.

Regards,
Ricki
Utah