We don't get many telesales calls now, registering for telepreferencing does
cut it down,  but as soon as a call sounds suspicious (ie they can't pronounce
the surname)
I ask "what are you selling?"  the answer is almost always that they are not
selling anything, so I let them prattle on until kitchens/double glazing/xxxx
is mentioned then I say "So you're selling xxxx.  We're on telepreferencing
and you're telling lies"  and hang up.

Instead of hanging up, find out who they are and report them.  Much more
satisfying as I think I am right in saying there is a hefty fine for *each
call*
annoying telepreference registered people.

>  if there's no message doing 1471 to find out who was calling.

I hope all UK arachnes are aware that BT (and maybe other phone providers)
have now very stealthily introduced a charge if you use the press 3 to call a
number obtained via 1471 .  Minimum publicity on this one, of course, and I got
caught out.

Jacquie