Hi Malvary et al,

This made me chuckle!    I was born midway in the 40s, and remember the
bikes and accidents well.....    As well as one of my friends (?) feeding me
poisonous berries to see if they really were poisonous!

But - I was demonstrating in our village last Sunday, and caught up with all
the gossip from my close neighbours and friends whom I hadn't seen for
ages - we still haven't had spring here, let alone summer, so no gardening
to speak of yet.

However, one of my neighbours and I were reminiscing!    My son, when at
primary school and aged about five, ran into her little boy - similar age.
Jonathan - her little boy - fell into the wall of the school, cut his head
open, and was concussed.    The school rang his parents, Jon was whisked to
hospital, and Duncan - our son - told me all about it when I collected him
at the end of the afternoon.    Naturally, I was mortified to think Duncs
had caused any damage, so I went round to see how Jon was - but was
terrified as I had wondered if I was going to be roundly castigated for what
my 'little darling' had done.    But - no talk of suing, or anything else -
both parents were more concerned about my welfare, as Jenny says she still
remembers the colour of my face when I knocked on her door!

Poor Duncan is a Chef at the local golf club, where Jon's father is a
member - and Duncan will never hear the last of it, I think!    He feels
that Jon got off lightly, as he was in bed for two days, then recovered, and
all was well, whilst Duncan is still having jokes made at his expense,
twenty-five years on!

Carol - in Suffolk UK, where it is showery, blustery, and not in the least
summer-like!