I used to teach computing in a temporary classroom (rather like a trailer home). There were insufficient power outlets and I needed to have some of he computers in the middle of the room to fit them all in, so I used 4-outlet extension cords on each of the available outlets. I had to put the computers away in a walk-in cupboard each evening because the classroom wasn't secure. This was in the days of DOS when a small monochrome monitor sat on top of the unit with the works in and no-one had heard of a hard drive.

The Health and Safety bods decided that the extension cords weren't safe, so they had extra outlets put in the ceiling for those in the middle of the room, as well as extra ones around the walls for those there. I still had to put them in the cupboard at night and get them out each morning - they were on trolleys so I was only wheeling them in and out. It was supposed to be safer for me to climb on a ladder to plug/unplug those in the middle of the room than to have extension cords taped across the floor.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK