At 02:21 AM 13/06/2008, Tamara P Duvall wrote:

On Jun 12, 2008, at 11:47, David in Ballarat wrote:

The "ive" ending is usually reserved for adjectives. Know any other similar examples of nouns?

Prerogative. Palliative. Motive. All function as both nouns and adjectives, as does "detective". I think all of them are, probably, of French origin and ended, originally, in -if. One of these days, who knows, we may be having an "aperitive" in the afternoon :)

Interesting, and probably correct. However, of the 3 samples you offered, only "motive" operates as a noun in Australian English, the other 2 remain as adjectives - nope - I have heard "prerogative" used as a noun - sorry. But "Palliative" is mostly followed by "Care" - perhaps always so, although I'm always reluctant to use an absolute. :)
David in Ballarat

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/