Jane wrote:

<You can also have diesel and electric locomotives, Jean - "locomotive"
refers to the engine, not the fuel that powers it!>

Yes, I know, but aren't the electric and diesel ones boring!!!!!

To me locomotive is the romantic steam train, which brings back memories of childhood family outings. The electric and diesel ones are just boring 'engines' which just transport me from place to place.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK