On 7/31/08 7:59 AM, Sue Duckles wrote:

On films you see people eating grits for breakfast.....
what on earth are they?  It took me long enough to figure
out what hershey bars were!!

Corn middlings. (Cream of Wheat is wheat middlings, as is semolina.) (Well, semolina is closer to meal than grits are.)

Hominy grits are hominy ground to the same
coarseness:  finer than groats, coarser than meal, with all
the fine stuff sifted out. Hominy grits are about the only kind you can find in grocery stores, but I can get yellow-corn grits at Bonneyville Mill.

Yellow-corn grits are better than corn meal for making the
crust of a tamale pie, but Spring Creek sells a "pilaf"
that's a bit coarser than the sort of meal you'd use for
making cornbread, and that is good too.  Unfortunately,
I'm too fat to eat tamale pie. (Not to mention that right now it's too hot to turn on my un-insulated oven.)

Tamale pie is seasoned ground beef baked in a wrapper of mush, like a huge tamale. Bears a family resemblance to the hominy-and-cheese dish mentioned later in the thread, but Mom taught me to drain the chili and put the broth into the mush. Gives it a good flavor and striking color. But now that paste tomatoes are the only kind that are canned, there isn't any broth, so I put a boullion cube and some tomato sauce into the mush. I may throw in herbs that are different from the herbs in the filling.

Mom encased the filling in mush entirely, but I couldn't make mush stick to the sides of the baking dish, so I just spread about half on the bottom of the dish, put in the filling, then cover it with the rest of the mush. Just as good -- except that as a child, my favorite part was the all-mush corners.

Mom topped one end with cheese because Dad didn't like cheese in meat dishes; I either cover the entire dish or leave it off.

--
Joy Beeson
http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/