As I recall, when this first came up for discussion (not necessarily on this list...), the issue was not about moisture, but about color. When orts of brightly colored fibers were put out for the birds, and then put in nests, the bright colors attracted more predators. I think the major issue is that naturally occurring fibers are safe, and naturally occuring colors are safer than anything dyed when used within the fiber's natural environment.

Clay