Thurlow wrote:

<To start with, "typewriters."  My other half told me about two years ago
his young niece (then 11 years old) asked him, "Uncle Carl, what's a
typewriter?"

Yikes!  :)>

Until four weeks ago I had a typewriter. A portable manual one at that. Kept it in case I needed to write an urgent letter during a power cut! Yes, I know, what could be so urgent that I would actually need to type a letter during a power cut? If such a very rare situation did arise, what would be wrong with hand writing a letter anyway?

Four weeks ago my next door neighbour asked if I knew where his sister could get a manual typewriter. She had been a typist when young and is now in her 80s. She had tried an electric one her son bought her on ebay, but it had no instructions and she couldn't fathom out how to work it and none of her friends knew how it worked either. She certainly didn't think she could cope with a computer. So now my manual typewriter (and a spare ribbon) has a new home, and my neighbour's sister is happily typing out her life story on it.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK