I learnt Dacombe shorthand in Australia in 11th secretarial studies.  Learnt
to type on an old manual too, but was never fast enough to move up to one of
the few electrics (this was end of the 70's).  I think the school got its
first pc's in about 1981.  A dear friend of mine worked for a bank and as
she was the fastest typist she got the new machines.  She was too fast for
most of the machines and regularly got them jammed up because they couldn't
keep up with her flying fingers.

When I went to College, I learnt all of my library cataloguing using AACR2
and Sears list of subject headings.  We had a unit later on in about 3rd
year librarianship where we had to do online cataloguing, and had allotted
times to get into the Australian Bibliographic Network.  The cataloguing
using the same rules however every field was tagged/coded and you had to get
your coding correct or it spat the entry back at you.  It made for some
laborious cataloguing and made doing it straight onto cards seem much
faster.  I'm glad I did it though because my very first library job was in a
University support company and I was hired for a contract to catalogue for a
State Government departmental library, and I was required to create interim
records directly into ABN.

I then moved to a research facility and it was all different, and our data
entry was done on XT's when I started, and the data was then massaged for
the various library outputs.  When I left 6 1/2 years later I was the first
person there to have a 486.

DH took me to the Museum on the Microsoft Campus in Redmond about 2 years
ago, and at the time it was really well done, and I liked how they
juxtaposed MS's development against the cultural backdrop of the time.  It
had some cool stuff.  They're redone it now it's in a new building, and when
we visited with our 2 kids (teen and tween), there was almost no history but
some 'cool' new toys for them to try out.  I thought it was a shame that the
company history is no longer on display, as it really put the modern
computer age into perspective.

Oh well ...

I'm off to play with my washer and dryer that have more computing power than
my old 486 :-)

Helen in foggy Duvall, WA