In addition to what Brenda said, in the UK, educational establishments are
allowed to make more than one copy for educational purposes.  For example,
in the university library we made up to 5 copies of a magazine article/book
 chapter to be read in the library by any number of students up to around
100.  This had the added advantage of reducing the amount of
theft/mutilation of library materials by students desperate to get their hands
on reading
list material.  I believe many (most?) of the students  photocopied the
photocopies so that they had their own copies to refer to  outside the
libraries.  As the photocopiers were always some distance from  library staff
no one
monitored this.

I should add that we bought multiple copies of basic texts for restricted
borrowing.

Schools have permits to copy certain materials for classroom use but I
don't know how that is arranged.

Patricia in Wales
scotl...@aol.com