As a member of The Lace Guild Executive Committee I would like to say that
we discussed this problem at the meeting which was taking place this last
weekend. We all immediately agreed that the rate charged in this instance
was  not acceptable, or what was intended or normal, and that the excess would
be  refunded as soon as was possible. The Chairman said she was writing to
give the  apologies of The Lace Guild for this error, but whether she has
been able to yet  or not I don't know as she was not going home directly after
the meeting.
Normal practise in the office is for  the order to be made up, then
weighed. The actual cost of postage is calculated  (plus VAT where applicable)
and
added to the cost of the goods before the  payment is put through, so the
addition to the cost of the goods is the postage.
In the case of Daphne's order, as  she said, it was added up from the
column on the list showing the amount of  postage for individual items; the
intention of this column is to give the buyer  an idea of the maximum their
P&P
should be, the most that should be expected  to appear on their card bill or
on a “Not to Exceed” cheque payment. This was  done in error and it should
not happen again.
Since the weekend I have been in  discussion with the staff at The Hollies
and other Committee members to seek  ways to ensure that this will not
happen again, and to simplify and clarify the  order form.
We hope that this error is an  isolated one, and we acknowledge it needs
correcting. We are rectifying it as  soon as we are able to, bearing in mind
that apart from three part time staff  (who are always very busy and are
currently dealing with a real Christmas rush),  we are all volunteers.
Once again I would like to publicly  apologise to Daphne and to reassure
all Arachneans that we do take all feed back  seriously, good or bad.
Obviously I hope that in hindsight she won't feel that  she has to leave the
Guild
over this matter.
Jacquie Tinch
Lace Guild Executive Committee  member.