Lynn,

I'm sort of writing this as outraged of Bicester and in support of
you.  My husband's initial reaction when I read your post to him was that you
should contact the organisers of the lace day to raise the issue with them but
as I started to type I realised that it would have been difficult to question
the lady you met without it feeling like the third degree.  She probably
bought the pattern in good faith.

When I started making lace my teacher
would happily copy patterns and charge you her students for doing so - saying
that she had bought the book for the group and without us paying for the
pattern she couldn't recoup the money to buy new books.

I wouldn't pay - I
believed that buying the book opened up a whole collection of patterns and
where it was a single pattern then the author of the pattern deserved the
money.  For very old, out of print patterns then I have bought second hand as
first choice (because the author would have got royalties from the original
sale) or as a last choice, borrowed from the library on occasions.

One lace
fair I went to, a friend was looking at a pattern and I was looking at another
and she said we should buy one each and photocopy them.  They were only 50p.
I bought both.

I do understand that some people have limited funds to buy
books and patterns but with patterns anything from 50p to £3 it's not that
expensive to get a pattern to make.  Even new books can be as little as £8 -
let's be honest, it's the equipment that is the investment not the pattern and
the thread.

When I started, I gave my parents a list of the books I really
wanted and I got one for easter, one for my birthday and one for Christmas -
other family members quickly took up this plan too so I built up a fantastic
library quickly over 2 - 3 years.

OK - outrage over!!!

Hubby still thinks
you should have found out who sold it and gone and broken their windows!!
Kind Regards

Liz Baker

thelace...@btinternet.com

My chronicle of my bobbins