I imagine you saw the piece in the UK on BBC.  The excuse I heard here was that
they did not know it was to be a tribute to 7/7 so we got to see Ryan Seacrest
who is popular, by some, on tv.  My friends thought the opening ceremonies were
very well done, but rather a "dark" period of the industrial revolution, but I
told them that that was what made Britain "Great".  We heard about the
controversy of the "flame" and until we knew the details, my DH said, it was
probably because it was using too much gas!  I saw they had moved the flame to
the side now, but it still can't be seen from a distance.

Janice
Packed and ready to leave for St. Paul this morning.  My buddies and I are
having a day out tomorrow at the Mall of America before we get down to some
serious lace shopping and classes next week at IOLI convention.
 Janice Blair
Crystal Lake, 50 miles northwest of Chicago, Illinois, USA
www.jblace.com
http://www.lacemakersofillinois.org

Changing the subject, some of us are feeling more  than a bit upset with NBC,
who cut out the segment of the Olympics opening  ceremony which was a tribute
our 7/7 bombing victims and replaced it  with an interview with Michael Phelps
and some TV presenter. A specially  choreographed dance piece, which was
accompanied by "Abide with me" wasted on  NBC controllers.

Jean