The Belgian flour sacks I saw were white, with the embroidery on them.

The
pre and post war USA flour sacks that the common people bought their flour in
were pretty printed cotton fabrics.  People made their own bread and used lots
of flour.  With careful buying, a family could acquire several sacks with the
same print.  As a child, some of my favorite dresses were made from flour sack
materials.  My grandmother's kitchen curtains were also from flour sacks.  The
printed fabric looked just like fabric from the store.

The underwear that
was embarrassing was made from white flour sacks with Smith Premium Flour  or
such words on it that would not wash out.   A child did not want Premium
across his rear. It told anyone who saw it that the family didn't have money
to buy new fabric for underwear.

The flour sack clothes would have been
nicer if they had had lace on them.

Alice in Oregon -- getting ready for
lace meeting tonight

________________________________
 From: Liz and Ken
Roberts <lizke...@netscape.net>

My mom (now deceased) told me when she was
young the girls in her family had
underwear made from flower sacks. She didn't
say if they were embroidered or
not.  There were 9 kids in the family and
feeding and clothing them all was
not cheap.  I gathered flour sack underwear
was not stylish and she was
embarrassed when the other girls in school
discovered this.

Liz in Missouri