In the lace pattern scenario, I have understood that I may use the copy
I purchased to make as many renditions as I desire but I may not sell
them (or copy the pattern for others, with or without recompense)
without the permission of the copyright holder. Correct?
If I later determine that I will never want to make any more of that
pattern, I may sell it and all my rights and restrictions transfer to
the new owner. Also correct?
In the purchased original painting scenario, it would appear that I am
in no better position than that of the owner of a print (or a copy of
the lace pattern) except that my enjoyment may be enhanced because I
know I have the original. The artist/author retains all rights
including the right to reproduce and sell copies at will. I may make
whatever renditions I desire for my own use or as gifts, but that I may
not sell them. Correct?
Now, in the "rendition" situation, is there an exception if I make some
changes. I had understood that in a lace or knitting pattern, if you
make some percent of change (I don't remember the percent) that it could
be significant enough that you then had a new "original" and you were
the author/artist/copyright holder of that pattern. True?
If so, then could rendering the original oil painting in watercolor be
sufficient to remove it from the protection of the original copyright?
In particular, I have an original watercolor by an unknown artist (who
may or may not be alive) of a boy standing on a bridge which transcends
a rocky gorge. I have thought I might try to make a black and white
(with shades of grey) weaving of this painting. Whether I **can** do
this is yet to be determined, and as I have no intention of selling it,
I think I may legally do whatever I wish, but considering the issue and
seeing the "copyright" topic on chat, made me wonder if I could legally
weave it for resale. A more realistic and honest question -- if I am
able to weave a rendition, may I enter it in the local May Show as my
own work?
>> If I buy an original painting (for example from a street vendor) --
>> can I then do whatever I wish with it - including have prints made
>> and sell them when he becomes famous, or is my right limited.
> As with the lace pattern scenario, if you buy a painting directly
> from an artist, you own the painted image, but not the image itself -
> so the artist can make prints and sell them (presumably before
> parting with the original!). I guess you can probably do so at a
> later date, if the artist is no longer living, and the estate won't
> quibble over the matter.
Susan Webster
Ohio
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]