A lovely Australian  Poem.
  "Goodbye  Granddad"

Poor old Granddad's passed away, cut off in his  prime,

  He never had a day off crook - gone before his  time,

We found him in the dunny, collapsed there on the  seat,
   A startled look upon his  face, his trousers around his feet,

The doctor said his  heart was good - fit as any trout,

The Constable he had his  say, 'foul play' was not ruled out.

There were theories  at the inquest of snakebite without trace,
  Of redbacks  quietly creeping and death from outer space,

No-one had a  clue at all - the judge was in some doubt,

When Dad was  called to have his say as to how it came about,

'I  reckon I can clear it up,' said Dad with  trembling breath,

'You see it's quite a story - but it  could explain his death.'

'This here exploration mob had  been looking at our soil,

And they reckoned that our farm was  just the place for oil,

So they came and put a bore down  and said they'd make some trials,

  They drilled a hole as  deep as hell, they said about three miles.

  Well, they  never found a trace of oil and off they went, post  haste,

And I couldn't see a hole like that go to flamin'  waste,

So I moved the dunny over it - real smart move  I thought,

I'd never have to dig again - I'd never be  'caught short'.

The day I moved the dunny, it looked a  proper sight,

But I didn't dream poor Granddad would pass  away that night,

Now I reckon what has happened - poor  Granddad didn't know,

The dunny was re-located when that  night he had to go.

And you'll probably be wondering how poor  Granddad did his dash--

Well, he always used to  hold his breath


                                                                                
Until 
he heard the  splash!!

To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected].

Reply via email to