Hello Vicki, and everyone

Yes, I have spun yarns to use for lace! Mostly silk, have tried linen and
fine wool. I made bookmarks, and gave them away. The only piece of lace I
kept that was made from handspun is an edging in two-ply wool, about the
size of pearl cotton 12.
What impressed me no end was the type of fleece I used, against all odds a
springy Southdown. I thought I would have to tame it to make lace, but not
at all. It was fun to use. The only reason I don't do more of this is the
time needed to make what I want for a given project, and I have plenty of
machine-spun thread. On the plus side, if you spin for a project, you only
need to spin a given amount; you can even spin what you need for each pair
of bobbins at a sitting. Let the twist set, before using the spun strands,
or not, ply them, or not.
You can go as fine or as thick as you like.
It is a whole new world when you spin for lacemaking :D

Congratulations on your win.

On Wed, 6 May 2009, Vicki Bradford wrote:

> lace from homespun...<vbg>  Has anyone else made lace with homespun
> fiber?  I collected all sorts of fibers to experiment
> with...merino/silk blend, silk roving, alpaca/silk blend,
> merino/seacell blend, bamboo, organic cotton, flax, yak down, soysilk,
> cashmere/silk blend, camel.....  Yes, I went a bit crazy!   I'd be
> interested to hear experiences of other spinner/lacemakers.
>

-- 
bye for now
Bev who spins mostly with drop spindles now in Shirley BC near Sooke on
Vancouver Island, west coast of Canada

To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected].

Reply via email to