It sounds like you need a friend in the US who is familiar with Canon's and
for the postage fees, etc. would help you out.  Of course I may have my head
in the clouds as I just had a offer for someone in the UK to help get OOP
books, and I found one for essentially original cost, and she bought it out
from under me and now won't answer my queries.
I have to hope there are good people in the world, and if I had any knowledge
of Canon and it's resources, I would help.  My camera is a different vendor,
but from what I hear, Canon is a very reputable name.  Also, sometimes it is
who you get, and what mood they are in that day.  It sounds like the store
doesn't want the additional fees since I assume the service centers are in the
US.  
Perhaps you could also google a US service center and email them yourself.
 Aren't there usually listings at the back of the instruction manual?
 Otherwise someone who had a Canon may find one for you in the US.
I hope someone will come forward and help you, as it sounds like it isn't
Canon, but rather the place you bought it from that is dropping the ball.  I
like to keep the faith that there are still indeed, good people and good
companies out there, as in the end, they are the ones that will prevail.
 <smile>
Best,Susan Reishus
--- On Wed, 7/22/09, Jean Nathan <[email protected]> wrote:

From: Jean Nathan <[email protected]>
Subject: [lace-chat] My camera story
To: "Chat" <[email protected]>
Date: Wednesday, July 22, 2009, 12:48 PM

DH has three digital cameras including a Canon S21S - cost him around GBP400.
Just after it went out of warranty, he got a black screen and viewfinder,
couldn't take pictures and nothing would cure it. A friend of his in the USA
had the same camera with the same problem and got a free repair outside
warranty because Canon told him it is a known problem. DH took it to the shop
he bought it from at that time, but they said they had not been notified of a
problem and he would have to pay GBP150 for a repair.

We are currently having a declutter and he was wondering whether to just dump
it. Having read Clay's email I had a look at forums on the internet, it seems
it is a common problem. Those living in the USA can get a free repair, but
when DH contacted Canon Europe today, he was told that there is no known
problem and if he wants it repaired, he will have to pay. People
from Europe contacting Canon are being told that anyone can post anything on
the internet so you can't believe everything you read about there being a
problem or about people in the USA getting free repairs. They have been told
there is no problem so if anyone in Europe wants a repair they will have to
pay.

Needless to say, he will carry on using his other cameras, and will never buy
a Canon again.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK 
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected].

To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected].

Reply via email to