Similar problems took me to the acupuncturist recently and along with it I was
given Chinese herbs.  I went from waking up three dozens times a night, often
with 1-2 hour interludes, to sleeping 6-7 hours a night, uninterrupted.  
I strongly recommend the acupuncture, which is a fairly profound technique,
and often MD's chiropractors, massage therapist, and related fields have it as
an addendum if you cannot find one that does it alone, and schools that teach
it often offer the services for practically nothing, overseen by someone who
is a master of it from China, etc. If you would like the name of the Chinese
herbs, I am happy to give you the name, as many stores and practitioners (and
perhaps online) have them.
In the past when desperate, I would take one sleeping pill (when two were
suggested in a over-the counter brand), for 3-4 nights in a row to condition
my brain to a nights sleep.  It worked (I may have to repeat it every few
months) until thyroid and health issues increased.
I agree with the hot bath comments.  I have known people who do wine or beer
before bed, but do not recommend it myself.  Years ago I would use melatonin,
which is a supplement, but it didn't keep me asleep for the night, so perhaps
a timed release tablet would work if available.  It worked well for years
though, is inexpensive, and natural so not hard on liver/kidneys, which can be
a problem with meds.
They also talk about being in a pattern and not breaking it, such as going to
bed every night at 10 PM, avoiding naps, and "shutting down" patterns
beforehand, allowing time to do each thing so when you, put down the bobbin
lace, turn off the tv, etc., your brain is responding to the pattern, knowing
to shut down.  
If I do wake up, I have to focus on not thinking, as if my left brain begins
to become active, I cannot go to sleep.  Instead, I try or pretend to meditate
and often fall asleep before I realize it.  I also do a yoga relaxation
technique which is starting with relaxing your toes, your feet, your ankles,
and moving up your body slowly until they are very relaxed.  Sometimes I only
get past my knees and other times it takes me up to my head before I go to
sleep.   if my brain becomes active, or read or do sudoku.
I could say more, but perhaps some of this will help.
Best,Susan Reishus

--- On Tue, 7/28/09, Thurlow Weed <[email protected]> wrote:

From: Thurlow Weed <[email protected]>
Subject: [lace-chat] OT: thyroid question
To: "lace chat" <[email protected]>
Date: Tuesday, July 28, 2009, 11:37 AM

Spiders,

I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with a perplexing health situation, and
I'm hoping that our vast knowledge base might contribute something useful (as
it so often does!).

For several months now, I've been dealing with chronic insomnia.  It appears
to have initially been brought about my colon stasis ("polite" way of saying I
was plugged up for a while).  That was dealt with, diet changed to be much
healthier.  My doc suspected my thyroid might be involved as well, and testing
determined I'm mildly hypothyroid.  So now I'm on medication - Armour Thyroid
30mg.  After a couple of weeks, the doc re-checked TSH levels and saw that
although they had gone down, he felt they hadn't gone down enough in those two
weeks, so he increased the dosage to 60mg.  Since then my insomnia has gotten
worse (every other night I'm unable to fall asleep, even with sleeping
pills).

I've just spent quite some time online searching medical forums about this,
and have learned that too high a dosage can cause marked insomnia.  A coworker
of mine who also has hypothyroidism (for many, many years) said it takes time
to lower TSH levels, one has to be patient.  I'm also looking up info on
hypothyroid friendly diets.

So I'm curious if anyone else has had similar experience to what I'm dealing
with here.  Any input/thoughts, etc are most welcome!

Thurlow Weed
Lancaster OH
[email protected]

To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected].

To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected].

Reply via email to