At my  recent assault trial, I offered a plea of "Guilty with
an explanation." The  judge asked me what my explanation was, so I
told my story.

"Your   Honor," I said, "I had a mammogram appointment, which I
actually kept. I  was  met with: 'Hi! I'm Belinda!' This perky
clipboard carrier smiled from  ear to ear, tilted her head to one
side and crooned, 'All I need you to do is  step into this room right
here, strip to the waist, then slip on this    gown. Everything clear?'
I'm thinking, 'Belinda, try decaf. This    ain't rocket science.'
Belinda skipped away to prepare the chamber of  horrors.
With the  right  side finished, Belinda flipped me (literally) to the
Left and said,  'Hmmmm. Can you stand on your tippy toes and lean in a
tad so we can get   everything?' 'Fine', I answered. I was freezing,
bruised, and out  of air, so why  not use the remaining circulation
in my legs and neck and finish me off? My body  was in a holding
pattern that defied gravity (with my other breast wedged  between
those two 4 inch pieces  of square glass) when we heard, then felt  a
zap!

Complete darkness and the power went off! 'Oh, maintenance is
working. Bet they hit a snag.' Belinda said, and headed for the door.
'Excuse  me! You're not leaving me in this vise alone are you?' I
shouted. Belinda kept  going and said, 'Oh, you fussy puppy...the
door's wide open so you'll have the  emergency hall lights. I'll be
right back.'

Before I  could shout 'NOOOO!' she disappeared. And  that's exactly
how Bubba and Earl, maintenance men extraordinaire, found  me ...
half-naked  with part of me dangling from the Jaws of Life, and the
other part smashed  between  glass! After exchanging a polite 'Hi,
how's it going' type greeting, Bubba (or possibly  Earl)  asked, to
my utter disbelief, if I knew the power was  off. Trying to  disguise
my hysteria, I replied with as much calmness as possible 'Uh, yes, yes
I did thanks.' 'You bet, take  care' Bubba replied and waved good-bye
as  though I'd been standing in the line at the grocery store.

Two hours  later, Belinda breezes in  wearing a sheepish grin. Making
no attempt to  suppress her amusement, she said, 'Oh I am sooo sorry!'
The power came back on  and I totally forgot about you! And silly me,
I went to lunch. Are we  upset?'

And that, Your Honor, is exactly how her head ended up between  the
clamps...."

The judge could hardly contain her laughter as she said  'Case
Dismissed!!'..

David in Ballarat

To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected].

Reply via email to