Boy Helen,
You are a youngster.  I remember learning to write with a straight pen with a 
nib and dipping it in the inkwell.  I even had to learn how to take shorthand 
like that!!  We did have fountain pens in senior school but they were filled 
with a lever from an ink bottle.  I also remember the paper milk bottle tops 
before the foil ones.

An early memory is helping Mum in the back yard with the washing in a tub which 
I guess was a copper and having a thing that looked like a 3 legged stool at 
the end of a stick which was used to swish the washing around.  Mum could wring 
the washing out by hand until there was hardly a drop left.  She must have had 
good arm muscles. :-)  We did eventually get an electric washer with a wringer 
on the top.  It is amazing to think of all the developments we have seen in our 
lives.  I learnt to type on the old Underwood machine.  That was hard going.  
Janice
 Janice Blair
Crystal Lake, 50 miles northwest of Chicago, Illinois, USA
www.jblace.com
http://www.lacemakersofillinois.org



----- Original Message ----
From: Helen Bell <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tue, April 13, 2010 3:31:55 PM
Subject: [lace-chat] RE:snapshot of my life.

So this dates me some, but the copper was before my time, but I learnt my
penmanship with a fountain pen (cartridge sort by then) in primary school,
and I remember getting up early in the mornings to look out my bedroom
window in the dawn to see the milkman delivering the milk bottles (with foil
caps) by horse and cart.  Mum would take me to the dairy when she paid the
bill and sometimes I'd get to see the horses there :-)  

I also remember the old wringer machine we had.  

I knew of some of the items on the list - about 14 of them, and yes, I knew
about Studebakers - seems like one of the boys at primary school talked
about them or had a parent who had one.

Cheers,
Helen, in drizzly, mizzly Duvall, WA.

To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected].

To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected].

Reply via email to