In a message dated 6/19/03 11:33:17 AM Eastern Daylight Time, 
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< What sort of bone would one use to make bobbins from? Regular beef bones,
 or maybe lamb since the leg bone is convenient? Would it work on a dremel 
lathe?
  >>
----
Dear Lacemakers,

I have changed the subject line, because the questions asked are getting away 
from the original conversation about bone bobbins being sold as "ivory".

It seems logical to me that the true world expert on bone bobbins is David 
Springett, and he may give source recommendations for the bones in his book, 
"Turning Lace Bobbins".  The book is available in the U.S. from Holly Van Sciver 
at $30, and in the U.K. from Linda Fountain for about 13 pounds.  I seem to 
recall that bones for this purpose are obtained from a slaughter house.  In 
Linda Fountain's current catalog (which I cannot lay my hands on "this minute"), I 
remember a statement to the effect that the bones from which their bobbins 
are made are not from a U.K. source.  Perhaps this is because of cattle disease 
in the U.K.  One of my friends purchased bone bobbin blanks and turned them on 
her lathe.  She informed me that it is best to do this outdoors, and the odor 
is unpleasant.

I'm afraid I have not given you very specific answers, but from these 
comments perhaps someone else can go to the Springett book or their catalogs and give 
more details.

By the way, modern bone bobbins are absolutely beautiful and costly.  They 
are a soft ivory color.  Some bone bobbins have beautiful floral designs painted 
on them.  Others are intricately carved in the way that old ivory was, with 
inserts of colored tinsel, and a resemblance to lace.  Others have colored 
brass wires wound around them in decorative patterns.  A full pillow of spangled 
ivory bobbins is true "eye candy" -- it looks like a display of fine jewelry.  
For those on Arachne who are not bobbin lacemakers or have not seen bone 
bobbins, treat yourself - go to the website of a lace supplier and look around.  
Yummy!

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center
-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to