In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes
>Is there a needle museum in your country?

Forge Needle Museum, Studley, near Redditch, Worcestershire.  (We passed
it yesterday, on the way to Coughton Court - home of the Throckmorton
Family - of Gunpowder Plot fame - though also on display is Edward
VIII's abdication letter - where the chemise Mary Queen of Scots wore
for her execution is on display - the edgings are needlelace).

It is worth going - in the same complex is Bordesley Abbey, and one of
the Sheldon tapestries (a panel about 15-18 inches square) was on
display in the Visitor Centre when we went (it is probably still there).
This tapestry has a border of silver (metal) lace - Spanish fan and
torchon ground if I remember correctly.  Dates to late 17th Century.

I have been a couple of times, and honestly can't remember many pins
amongst the display (though there were pincushions, following the
publication of Audrey Babbington's Pincushion Book a few years back) -
the processes for making them are different (needles are made in pairs,
the eyes punched in the centre of the rod before separating and
pointing).  I think there may have been a few to show the differing
heads (from lumps of wax? to the current flat type).

Being the gr gr gr granddaughter of a Bromsgrove nailer (Bromsgrove is
not very far from Studley) I suppose this is the sort of thing I should
know!  BTW, nailing is another industry we were supposed to have no clue
about until the Flemish refugees landed....!

As you may gather, this area was famous for the production of needles
and nails - though sadly, no longer - but a short while back it was more
or less certain that any needle you held had been made in Studley.  Now
they are made in the far East, too.
--
Jane Partridge