> try to lengthen the thread on a bobbin while I'm working, it catches on
> the slightly rough bulb as I turn the bobbin. (I'm using fine thread -
> 80.)
>
> Does anyone know of a way of polishing these bobbins?  I understand that
> they're normally polished by machine.

Annette, depending on the kind of wood the bobbins are
made of, your thread may always be catching.
Some woods are simply unsuitable for lace bobbins.
The finer the grain and the harder the wood, the better
the bobbin.
Oak or teak are awful, the grain is so coarse that no
matter how much you polish, the thread catches.
Ebony, boxwood, kingwood, and many others, are
lovely for bobbins.
Finegrained, soft woods are suitable for very fine
threads, but with a coarser thread and a somewhat
heavy hand, the head will soon have 'notches', making
them unsuitable for the finer threads.

Greetings from Beautiful British Columbia
Esther Perry
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED]