  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 3:34 PM
  Subject: Re: [lace] Miss Channer/enforcement issues

  So, Tom, if someone were, hypothetically speaking, not that I am advocating
it, to very quietly and in a non-public place, photocopy the pattern and give
it to her friend, how would the damages be reckoned? Ruth Bean repeatedly goes
on record as saying that it is not worth reprinting. However, they did respond
with a reminder that they own the copyright at one point when someone offered
on-line to photocopy it for another person.
  I don't think anyone is actually proposing to run off as many as a hundred
copies, and if they did, they would lose their shirts on the enterprise, much
as Ruth Bean, apparently would if they did it. It is the person who reproduces
the pattern that suffers economic loss in this scenario, so how do you
calculate damages? It would be an interesting question for a law school exam.
  It seems to me that every year Ruth Bean is deluged with e-mails from people
pleading to have them reprint this pattern. This kind of annoyance is probably
unknown for "The Idiot's Guide to Safe Cracking", for instance, but the
lacemakers are a fanatically law abiding group.
  Devon
  who never advocates law-breaking.