> about that lovely linen collar, edged with
> Bedfordshire lace? Most of
> the laces I could not begin to put a name to and I
> hadn't thought to
> tape it. Finally was a scene where Richard is shown
> with his hand in
> the pockets of his breeches. I had a feeling that
> pockets were not
> fitted into clothing until a later date. Help.
> Jean in Cleveland U.K.

Funny, this very show just came up on my Elizabethan
Costumign list.  I can't speak for the hanky; my
understanding is stll that worked corners are later
than 1620, but I haven't paid enough attention as I
don't do hankies.  The size doesn't bother me though.
I *can* say that pockets are quite alright, a
relatively new invention for the English, but there
are extant examples of in-the-seam pockets from later
Elizabethan.  And without havign seen the actual show,
I will say that much lace of the period has definite
Bedfordshire/Cluny character.  I have the woodcuts and
portraits to prove it ;D

I really need to see this show, now; I'm not a huge
fan of Shakespeare's histories, but the scuttle-butt
on the costuming list was that this was a visually
excellant show.

Chris - Glad to actually have a topic that speaks to
my specialty :)

=====
. |\_     "Eagles may soar,
(:> _)X    but weasels don't get