The problem with the word 'craft' is that to most people this means going
into somewhere like 'Hobbycraft' (who call themselves the 'craft superstore'
and you all apready know my opinion of what they sell) picking up a kit, or
loose materials if you really know what you're doing, and completing even
the most complex of their projects within a week. It's something you do to
fill in the odd free hour. Then you go and try something else.

They tried selling bobbin lacemaking equipment at inflated prices with no
indication of where to learn, no books or other instructions available so
no-one knew what to do with it, and ended up selling it off at half price to
clear the shelves.

The other problem is that people look at the number of bobbins on a pillow
and say "I could never do that" and dismiss it from their minds completely.

I don't know the best way of publicising, because 'lacemaking' doesn't only
cover bobbin lace. People need to know that (bobbin lace at least - I'll
never master tatting) is accessible to all at different levels from a simple
braid to complex work like "that mat", it's not as difficult as it looks,
it's soothing, it exercises the brain, is gives a sense of achievement, you
can work from pre-prepared patterns or be original and artistically
creative, you meet a whole load of nice helpful people, you make friends all
over the world, it gets you out of doing the housework ............

The slogan that stuck in my mind most was "Lacemakers do it on pillows", but
that doesn't lift it out of the 'Hobbycraft' level.

Jean in Poole