I use a piece of fabric that's made from cotton and has a small pile - I don't
know what it's called.  I bought it to use when beading.  I'm not very
experienced with continentals yet, but I think it does make a difference.  The
bobbins still rolled pretty badly the first time I tried them and the thread
untwisted.  I'm now trying a piece of Bucks Point with the larger, Bruges
bobbins, and they seem a bit better. I'd like to try Ultra-suede.

I'm intrigued by the idea of square bobbins.  I have been told that they're
slower to use because they're less "slick" to move around - they don't "slide"
under each other well.  And Tim Parker told me that they often land on an edge
when you drop them back onto the pillow - I suppose this would be a problem if
you have a lot of bobbins crammed closely together on the pillow.  But are
they worth trying if you're prepared to sacrifice speed?  (which I am - my RSI
problem means that working slowly is usually better for my hands.)

Thanks for the info about insect pins.  If they're so long, I can see they
might be a problem if you have to push them right in, say to do sewings.  I've
just bought some Duchesse pins to try - I'll see how I get on.

When I started lacemaking a few months ago, Roz Snowden told me that it was a
fairly inexpensive hobby, since once you've got a pillow and bobbins and some
other bits and pieces, there's nothing much more to buy - the thread is quite
cheap.  I was almost dispappointed, since I love going to fairs to buy new
things for whatever craft I'm doing.  But now I see there are different
bobbins to try, (and when you've settled on a style you have to buy lots of
them so that one day you can do Miss C's mat <g>) and different sewing in
tools to try, and different pins, and different pillow shapes, and then there
are the books... !

Regards,
Annette, London