[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> My name is Julia, I am 21 years old, and have been making lace for the past
>
> 11 years.  I am also a final year marketing degree student at South Bank
> University in London.
>
> As part of my degree I have to write a 12,000 word dissertation, related to
> marketing, on a subject of my choice.  It was recommended that this subject
> be something I am particularly interested in, so, the obvious choice was
> lace-making!!

Spiders,

I have replied privately to Julia but then thought perhaps you might want to
argue against my thoughts on this.  I am seriously worrid that lacemaking is
either declining or at best staying at the same levels in the UK - what is the
situation in the US, Oz, Canada and the rest of the world?

Liz

---------------------------

As to figures - I would suggest that you contact the Lace Guild for
information know when they were formed (about 25 years ago) and where they have
associated groups.

However, lace is not growing, it is in serious decline and the average age of
lacemakers is rising with the number of new lacemakers declining.

I'm 37 and the youngest member of the 2 lace groups that attend - infact,
most of the lacemakers in those groups are twice my age.  I thought that this was
due to my geographical placement but in the UK it is a common problem.  Most
lace makers over here are retired or semi retired.  It is a little different
in Oz and US and Canada but have lost lacemaking on the curriculum due to the
National Literacy and Numeracy Hours.  This has resulted in a serious decline
in lace makers in the Beds area where traditionally younger children were being
taught as a norm.

The number of suppliers has seriously dwindled and we have gone from having 7
or 8 major lace fairs each year to only 4 (NEC, Harrogate, Fountains, Tim
Parker).  In fact, the Fountain Lace fair (which used to be Springetts) has gone
from over 75 suppliers over two days as Springetts to around 35 suppliers for
only one day.

It is easy to see that you are passionate about lace, however, if you want to
show how marketing techniques can be applied to a hobby this is not
necessarily the best choice - most lace makers buy from the same suppliers that they
have used over 10 - 15 years either because that supplier is the only person who
produces that particular item or because they have always bought from them.
For example, SMP and Biggins for pillows and Biggins for patterns and thread.
Tim Parker for unusual bits and bobs and threads.

When I attended the Fountains Fair and the NEC, last year, for the first time
in 10 years, I was shocked to see that the average age of many of the
suppliers and I whilst I know that they all have a love of lace making and its
promotion, I do understand that many of them are looking towards retirement.  I know
that some of them have family support and are able to pass on supplying to
younger family members but in the past few years we have lost through retirment,
family needs and death some of the major names in lacemaking.

I, personally, am seriously worried about the future of lacemaking and one of
the reasons that I am on the Arachne list is to ensure that we promot the
best suppliers, world-wide, and ensure the continued success of the lacemaking.

On a more positive note, you could look at how commercial lacemaking rose and
fell due to the marketing of machine lace and the movement of younger
lacemakers from lacemaking to straw braiding.  Thomas Wrights 'Romance of the Lace
Pillow' is an excellent start.

Or, how the rise of department store promoting of people like Hobby's has
seriously affected local small scale craft shops and its affect then on
lacemakers and embroiderers.

Regards

Liz Beecher
I'm <A HREF="http://journals.aol.com/thelacebee/thelacebee";>blogging</A> now - see