> On Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003, at 18:49 US/Eastern, Margot Walker wrote:
>
> > A supplier at last year's OIDFA Congress had a pillow that was part of
> > a backpack.  It was really neat and compact.  I don't remember who the
> > supplier was - I think Finnish or Danish.  Does any one else remember?

Finnish.
I bought one at the German BL Congress this April. Strolled around these
pillows again and again,
countimg my bucks again and again (but they refused to become more), finally
I couldn't resist.

The pillow itself has the classical shape of danish pillows for yardage
(have a look on Bjarne's site, e.g.),
a half circle here the bobbins rest, a roller in the back part for the lace.
Covered with velvet, neatly worked,
it comes with 30 finish birch bobbins (continental) and a bag in matching
colour to the velvet.
The bag is not really a backpack. It has a strip for hand carrying and one
long enough for over the shoulder
 and has an additional small  compartment with zipper for yarn, scissor etc.

It's not heavy, not large, so it's easy to take it with you.

Tamara wrote:
> But whether it's going to make much difference in getting lacemaking to
> be the current fashion in "on the go" crafts, I'm not so sure... In the
> long run, bobbin lacemaking just isn't really portable, in more ways
> than one.

Of course, Tamara, BL will never be a craft for "z doskoku" , like the
tatting in the pocket is.

(one of my pocket poems:    Another hour at the station / hear curses on the
"Deutsche Bahn"  * /
                                             but with my tatting in the
pocket/ even waiting time is fun.)

In German: "auf dem Sprung", no 1:1-translation either, ("on a jump") but
the meaning is, maybe similar to "z doskoku",
that one is prepared to jump on to the next duty, maybe just waiting for the
signal to be heared.

I like my finnish travel pillow, but would not unpack my carefully secured
bobbins for less than half an hour of lacemaking.
For an hours or so, it's great (waiting for children at different places,
e.g., waiting at a doctor's,...).
And I take it on a holyday trip, because space is very limited in my small
compact car.
And: it's beautiful.

> A raw beginner isn't likely to use a travel pillow -- they need larger
> bobbins to accomodate the thicker threads they start with. An advanced
> lacemaker is going to use one only as the last resort -- there's not a
> whole lot of appeal to most lace patterns which can be made with 16prs
> of bobbins (tops), especially if it's yardage (most travel pillows are
> geared for that, since there's less need for "paraphernalia" associated
> with piece laces).

I had no problems with a 30-pair tulle (yardage), and right now it carries
an old flemish yardage
from LOKK's "de linnenkast".
Travelling without BL would be much worse...

>needle lace, knitted lace, crochet lace and tatted lace beat BL out for
> convenience every time.

right. BL is no fast food craft. will never be.

bye for now, from a sunny autumn day,
Eva in Haltern, Germany