I've only just read Jane Viking Swanson's message about Inishmacsaint Lace
which, as Jane said, declined when the fine handspun linen thread was no
longer available.  That reminded me, I bought some line flax from Halcyon
Fibers awhile ago and have started spinning it by hand.  The blurb from
Halcyon says that the flax is ready to spin but I quickly discovered that
there's still a lot of tow mixed in with the long flax fibers and so I have
been combing the flax with a metal comb.  What I found very interesting, was
that the thread I spun with the tow still mixed in, looks a lot like the
commercial linen thread, with slubs.  The unspun flax fibers don't have
anything resembling slubs.  Once I combed out the tow, my handspun thread
became very smooth and shiny with no slubs.  It's not hard to comb out ALL
the tow, but it does reduce the quantity of spinnable flax  by quite a bit.
It's not expensive, one strick ( a big hank)  for $5.  The spinners here
think I'm crazy but, as I tell them, lace doesn't use large quantities of
thread like weaving does.  Spinning the long flax is very difficult but I
think mostly because I haven't correctly adjusted my spinning wheel for fine
linen thread.  Maybe I really need to use a drop spindle.

Sally Schoenberg
Anchorage Alaska