Marcie wrote:

"Aren't most high-quality (modern) stainless pins nickel-coated to
inhibit rusting?"

Tim Parker sells an extensive range of pins including yellow brass,
stainless steel, nickel plated steel and nickel plated brass. The nickel
plated steel won't be stainless steel (austenitic) which resists rusting so
there's no need to plate it, it will just be steel (ferric) which will rust
easily unless plated. In their bought state stainless steel pins will have a
fine oxide coating (but not iron oxide/rust) which is why they are less rust
resistant when the surface is scratched and this fine coating is removed. It
was always difficut to weld steel until it was realised that this coating
was present and could be removed.

It's difficult to compare prices because of the different lengths and
thicknesses of the pins, but in the last price list I had from Tim, a box of
100 grams of:

26 mm x 0.53 mm stainless steel is 7 pounds 50 and yellow brass 5 pounds 50
26 mm x 0.65 mm yellow brass 4 pounds 25, nickel plated brass 4 pounds 50
17 mm x .45 mm yellow brass and nickel plated brass are both 6 pounds 65
26 mm x .53 mm stainless steel 7 pounds 50, 26 mm x 0.65 mm nickel plated
brass 4 pounds 50
30 mm x 0.60 mm and 34 mm x 0.60 nickel plated steel are both 4 pounds 50

Overall, stainless steel seems to be the most expensive, but the more
difficult a particular popular pin is to get hold of the more expensive it
will become.

For rust to occur on steel, there has to be moisture and oxygen present
(most people did the iron nail in the test tube experiment to find the
conditions necessary for rusting at school), so I keep all my pins, whether
stuck in pin cushins or not, in a shoe box with several small sachets of
silica gel which are dried and replaced frequently. Whatever type of pin,
they're too expensive not to take care of them, not to mention that some
sizes are becoming difficult to get hold of so I want to preserve what I
have.

Jean in Poole