On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 08:19:44 -0600, Cindy wrote:
>This discussion touched on a topic that I am curious about.  I acquired 
>some vintage metallic thread recently and was wondering how to determine 
>whether the thread was real silver or other metals.  Did they, or do they 
>still make any thread with real gold, silver, copper or brass (I have all 
>these 'colours' in this lot)?  
Yes thread was made with gold, copper and silver and still is.  I did a
piece of embroidery with real silver and gold in 2001.  I'm not so sure
about brass.  The "threads" that I worked with don't sound like yours.  Mine
were nothing that could be called a skein, they definitely look like pieces
of metal, either spiral coils or with a hole through the centre.  I used
cotton thread to attach them to the background fabric, but much of the
embroidery with gold uses silk threads.


--
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country. Steven Wright
Steph Peters  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tatting, lace & stitching page <http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/index.htm>

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to