Yes, I agree with Tamara about not using two sizes of pins, and also about
leaning the pins well outward. (To tell the truth, I did not know that
there was a problem with making picots! I learned picot-making from -- of
all people -- Doreen Wright, and I would certainly have been too scared to
fail!) I do make them, as Tamara says, with five twists before and two
afterward. There is just this one other thing, which Doreen stressed
mightily: after placing the pin, you must be sure to pull both threads down
TOGETHER at once; then do the 2 final twists. I have made, I guess,
thousands of picots this way, and just breezed through them. Goes to show:
ignorance is bliss.  --  Aurelia