OK, I'm going to admit to my lazy way of doing picots, which I think may be the Binche type as Michael Giusiana taught this method to me. I simply twist 7 times, put my pin under both threads at the same time and loop them around before placing the pin (same type of movement as done for pinning the first thread of the double-thread picot already described by Aurelia and Clay and others), tension the two threads to settle the twists around the pin, and then -- and this is the key to locking the picot into place -- tension well after working through the first passive pair. I've been using this method on Binche, Bucks, and Tonder, and as Clay said, from a galloping horse, my picots pass muster.

I've done both of the other methods mentioned by other Arachnes, and I favor this one for its simplicity and, for me, consistency.

--
Mary, in Baltimore, MD