In a message dated 12/23/03 2:38:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Merry Christmass for all the buisy lacemakers from Copenhagen, Denmark.
> I am a little surprised that this topic hasnt come to you for a few days ago
> this topic apeared:
> http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/12/19/hampton.ghost.ap/index.html
>
> This is very kreepy, i think, hope not it is a bad omen about a fire in the
> future at this very historical place.
> We cant afford any more historical places fires.............
>
> from Bjarne in COPENHAGEN DENMARK

-------------
Dear Bjarne,

The existence of a fire door, as mentioned in the article, does not mean that
is a bad omen.  Fire doors are installed in buildings to seal off sections in
the event of fire -- to prevent fire and smoke from spreading through open
spaces.  They are generally made of steel.  For those who are puzzled by this
response, and by the letter from Bjarne, go to the web site above, or consider
these two paragraphs from the article:

"Wood said security guards had seen the figure in closed-circuit television
footage after checking it to see who kept leaving open one of the palace's fire
doors.

"In the still photograph, the figure of a man in a robe-like garment is shown
stepping from the shadowy doorway, one arm reaching out for the door handle."

There was a fire at Hampton Court, probably more than 10 years ago.  It
started in one of the upstairs grace-and-favor apartments, and there was some
damage to a few palace galleries below.    It seems to me that the British are
particularly careful about their palaces and cathedrals.  They have upgraded their
security precautions substantially in the years since WWII.  The mysterious
"aura and figure" stirred interest on the part of the security staff at the
Palace for good reasons.

For the Arachnes who may not know what a grace-and-favor apartment is:  It is
space provided by Queen Elizabeth to certain special people or organizations
in which they can live or conduct their "business".  Both the English
Embroiderers' Guild and the Royal School of Needlework have had grace-and-favor suites
at Hampton Court.

The Embroiderers' Guild is scheduled to move to new headquarters -- there was
a rendering of the new building in an issue of their bulletin last year.  The
Royal School's space is limited (crowded), considering the amount of valuable
educational  and conservation activities conducted there.  I have visited the
Royal School over the years, and it has been located in three different
locations that I can remember -- the other two in London.  If you ever travel to
Hampton Court, be sure to arrange to visit.  It is at ground level.  They have a
nice little gift shop that might appeal to you - needlework tools, books,
kits.  As I remember from 4 years ago, it is all the way around the Palace in the
back (almost opposite the center front of the Palace), near the indoor tennis
court.  A long walk, so build it into your tour in a logical sequence if
possible.  Then, you will not have to double back.  If I remember correctly, they
keep the door locked for security - and it would be advisable to make your
visiting arrangements in advance.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center