I was interest to read what has been written about Vologda Lace.
I went on the lace tour to Sweden, Finland (Turku OIDFA conference)
then to St Petersburg.  Whilst we were staying at the hotel
in St Petersburg arrangements were made for local lacemakers to come
to our hotel to show and sell their lace.  I was fortunate enough
to be able to by to lace collars before the management of the hotel
told the lacemakers to leave and take their lace with them.  Later
some of the group I was with went to see where the lacemakers
worked.  Now at the conference in Turku there was a large stand
with lots of lace from Russia, so many different pieces of lace
you could have bought.

Then a few years later I attended the International Lace Conference
in Vamberk, Czech Republic.  Yes there was a Russian lace stand
again, not so many pieces of lace but still a lovely collection
of lace to choose from if you wanted to buy a jacket, hat, bra etc.
This time there was just one of the ladies that attended the Turku
conference.

I was fortunate enough to be able to buy a brochure on Vologda Lace,
there are pictures of the very large Russian Pillows, can you imagine,
big enough for a large lace pattern to be on it. They are certainly
larger than the large Spanish pillow I bought in Spain. These pillows
are certainly larger than the pillow that was used by a Russian lace
maker that we saw at the Ethnological Museum in St Petersburg.
Now at the back of this brochure there are addresses for the
Manufacturer  - SNOW-FLAKE Vologda Lace Association
Plus the address for Exporter - V/O ROSVNESHTORG.

I also have a magazine called CAM, published near Moscow. there are
47 pages on how to make Tape and Torchon Lace. There is also a
section on dressmaking another on gardening.  Even though I can't
read the text I could possibly make some of the patterns in the magazine.

I do know that some years ago lacemakers in the UK were asked to give
freely threads for the lacemakers in Moscow, over a period of time
many threads were sent, including embroidery threads as they were
having problems getting threads.

I do have the book Kloppelspitzen aus Wologda, which shows you the
many different laces that are made, not just tape lace.  Just wish
there was a translation in English for this book.

I am sorry this is so long, do hope I have not bored you.

Jean in Newbury