Hi Spiders!  This is a staggeringly technical question, but I would like to 
know the answer and can't think of who else to ask.  I'm sorry.  I'm hoping 
the Arachne pool is large enough that someone will know.  If you reply by 
posting, make sure not to paste this whole message in your reply.
  I am working through Chapter 3 Bucks Point of Pamela Nottingham's "The 
Technique of Bobbin Lace Completely Revised New Edition".  I started a new 
exercise today, Fig 215 Cloth and Honeycomb Fan Pattern, and I worked through the 
first repeat without consulting the diagram.  This was proper, since Nottingham 
encourages this.
  When I then consulted the diagram, I found that my headside was done wrong. 
 I was sure, however, that I had done it correctly.  So I looked really 
carefully at all the previous exercises and found, to my surprise, that Nottingham 
makes headsides in two different ways (it might be clearer to say "3 ways").  
Here are the ways of  doing headside:
  1) This doesn't really count.  This is the situation where there is no 
problem with headside since there are the same number of picots as there are 
outgoing pairs.  Work one picot with each outgoing pair, going through pairs from 
left to right.  An example of this is Fig 212 Kidney Bean.  There are 5 
outgoing pairs, call them 12345, and picots are worked top to bottom: 
      1  2   3   4   5  
    Sheeps Head and Pheasant's Eye also fall into this category, but they 
have their own type of weirdness since extra honeycomb stitches are put into the 
headside.
   This case doesn't matter.  The aspect of headside I am concerned with is 
the problem of what to do when there are more picots than there are outgoing 
pairs.  When that happens, some pairs must make two picots, and that is the 
situation the next 2 cases deal with.
  2)  There are more picots than there are outoging pairs.  Work a picot for 
each outgoing pair, going through pairs from left to right.  When done, the 
last picot worked is the pivot picot P. P comes AFTER the most indented (bottom 
of the valley?) picot.
  Now perform the pivot.  Count the number of picots that still need to be 
worked and separate that number of pairs from the left side of your group of 
outgoing pairs.  Work the picots by going through the pairs from left to right.  
  Examples of this are Fig 196 Church Window and Fig 200 Little Heart.  For 
both of these there are 4 outgoing pairs, call them 1234, and the picots are 
worked top to bottom:  
    1  2  3  4(P)   3.   It turned out that the most indented picot was the 
first one for pair 3.
   This is the method that Nottingham told me to use!   She describes it on 
page 122, in the section for Church Window.  She does not mention anywhere else 
in the book any other way of dealing with the "more picots than pairs" 
problem.
3)  There are more picots than pairs.  We force the pivot picot P to be the 
most indented picot.
   Work picots with outgoing pairs, going through pairs from left to right, 
until the pivot picot P is worked.  At this point, some pairs on the right have 
not yet worked any picots.  Dedicate these pairs to the very last picots in 
the section.  So think of these picots as being assigned to pairs, even though 
you won't actually work them until the end.
   Now perform the pivot.  Count the number of picots that still need to be 
worked, remembering not to count the very last picots which have been 
dedicated.  Separate that number of pairs from the left side of the group of outgoing 
pairs and work the picots fgoing through pairs from left to right.  Now bring 
in the unworked pairs (which are all the way on the right) past all the other 
pairs and work the very last picots going through the pairs from left to right.
   Examples of this are Fig 203 Ram's Horn and Fig 216 Cloth and Honeycomb 
Fan.  It looks as if Fig 220 Pattern Interpretation and Fig 250 Cloth Stitch 
Diamond With Four Pin Buds do it this way also.  For Cloth and Honeycomb Fan, 
there are 7 outgoing pairs, call them 1234567, and the picots are worked top to 
bottom:
  1  2  3  4  5(P)  4  3  6  7

  Ok, so that's what I saw when I looked carefully at all the headsides.  I 
haven't gone into the details of moving pairs around since that would obscure 
the main point, so just accept that everybody is moving around so that it all 
comes out as in Nottingham's diagram.  If you actually read through all this 
and don't know Bucks Point, please understand that this is all MUCH easier to 
actually do in practice then it is when I try to explain in words all the steps, 
so don't be put off.
   So, first, am I correct about this?  Method 2 and method 3 really seem to 
me to be truly different.  Am I misunderstanding something?
  Second, if I am correct, then why does Nottingham switch methods?  She gave 
very clear instructions about method 2 , implying that this is a method that 
she likes, but every single one of the later patterns uses method 3, which 
implies that she prefers method 3 .  Is one method preferred over the other in 
general?  Does Nottigham prefer one over the other?  What's the story with the 
development of these two methods and who uses which, when?  Don't say that I 
can use whichever one looks better to me, since that is always true; I want to 
know what other people do and what they have done historically and what the 
party line is.
   Thanks.                                                                    
                 Julie Baltimore MD

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to