Hi Peggy

Like you I took my teaching qualification and was teaching at the local
college taking over the class from a lace tutor who was retiring, she had
helped me during my training. A year or two into teaching there it became
increasingly evident that the college couldn't be bothered with and didn't
want non-vocational classes - we got dumped (I won't say allocated) in rooms
that had very inadequate lighting, one even had no windows and poor
artificial lighting! Another could only be classed as a stock room with cans
of paint stacked everywhere - there were even several chainsaws in the
corner!!!!  The best was our first day back in a new room (the one with the
chainsaws), on the second floor of an annexe building some walk from the
college. About half an hour before class was due to finish a caretaker came
in and asked what we were doing there? I explained that my classes had been
moved to this annexe and this was the first of the term and was that a
problem? He then went on to explain that he had been walking home seen the
lights and come to investigate and did I realise that we had been locked
into the building with no access to a telephone or the fire escape as those
doors had been locked too! Needless to say when I went into college next day
I saw the principle and went slightly balistic, her attitude was well they
are only little old ladies what does it matter. I pointed out that those
little old ladies were the mothers of health and saftey inspectors and
solicitors etc etc. I and my classes voted with our feet, within a fortnight
I was holding my classes privately in various halls and even a pub. That
principle is no longer there she left under quite some cloud but was given a
hefty handshake and a reference no doubt and is now probably helping to ruin
some other college - it was all quite a scandal that they tried to cover up.

Now all my classes are at home and I have more pupils than before. Yes I
don't earn as much, but at least we are all happy and enjoying ourselves and
my students don't have to work for qualifications that they don't want but
can work the lace they want and still develope their skills and knowledge.
The best part is that I don't have all that paperwork and beaurocracy to
fight with so the drop in money was well worth it.
Best wishes Nicky   in Suffolk waiting for the snow and real cold weather
that has been forcast