On 29 Jan 2004, at 04:24, Jeri Aimes wrote:

Last Summer, some of the mystery of the missing laces was explained when a
current officer told me there was a connection between the missing lace
collection and a booklet to the memory of E. Lolita Eveleth, "Chart for Lace
Identification and the Meshes of Handmade Lace" that was published by IOLI. I cannot
say I was pleased with what I understood about that transaction. Because it
was so unbelievable, I'll not repeat it. Just a bit of advice - be very clear
in your Will as to what you want done with your collections!

I have one of those booklets. I purchased it from the English lace School (when they were at Tiverton, Devon) about 20 years ago.

Inside the font cover it says:
"BRITTA DOROTHY JEPPSON, consultant and recipient of the E. Lolita Eveleth Collection is by bequest of Miss Eveleth, is herself an honored and noted authority, researcher and collector of antique laces. Miss Jeppson presents on the following pages informative charts for the iidentification of laces assembled from the notes of Miss Eveleth. many of the identifying illustrations are from the E. Lolita Eveleth Collection"
"(C) Britta Dorothy Jeppson 1974"

Inside the back cover is the International Old Lacers Logo with the words"
"an (logo) publication
1P.450.774
2P.1500.1079"

I don't know anything about the background history of the booklet other than what is printed in it, but I can tell you that excluding the cover it's got 28 pages, 8.5" x 11", printed throughout dark blue on white. The first part is pictures of all types of lace with with a chart showing name, place, period, material, ground, fillings, design character, outline and remarks.

The last few pages are large scale examples of the different grounds which look to have been specially worked for identification purposes. They are printed sideways on which had me rather puzzled until I realised what they had done!

In general, there are some very good, clear pictures of the laces, showing the individual threads in many cases, though I can't say that I'm terribly impressed by the (spreadsheet type) charts; lots of gaps and one ID which I reckon is suspect (No 5 "Blonde" which I think is machine made!).

Brenda
http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/paternoster/