Tamara and the Spiders,

This is a perennial dilemma, isn't it.

I am always horrified when I see colour plates taken from antique books and
then reframed for sale, as I find it abhorrent to destroy books.  Similarly
lace which is destroyed in the name of art.

But - I once attempted to buy a couple of antique crystal bead necklaces
from an antiques sale in Woodbridge (Suffolk UK).  My Mum was with me, and I
inherited her gene for putting one's mouth into gear before engaging the
brain.   Just as the stallholder went to hand me the bag (she'd already
taken the cash!) Mum said "Those will look lovely on the bobbins, won't
they?" - which the stallholder heard.   She grabbed the bag out of reach of
my grasping mitts, and told me that she'd just restrung the beads, and they
were antique.   "Yes!" I said "But they'll be seen by far more people on my
bobbins than they would if I kept them as necklaces".

There was quite a discussion as to whether I should be allowed to buy the
wretched beads - which I won by saying that she'd already taken the money
anyway.   But - maybe to her, in my way, I was being just as destructive as
someone who offends me by ripping the pages out of books, or cuts up bits of
lace!

I do feel that we all have responsibility to conserve all that we can, but I
must admit that I am seldon swayed from buying antique beads, as I love them
on  my bobbins, so, like Tamara, I do try not to judge too heavily those who
have different 'priorities' to my own!  I suppose it all boils down to the
fact that we can, usually, find good excuses for doing what we want to do.

Carol - in a wet Suffolk, but where the snow has all gone, and it is
apparently not as cold!

Subject: [lace] Re: Kiki Smith/modern art/lace

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to